Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our First Garden!

A couple of years ago, a co-worker/friend of mine gave us some irises from her mom's garden. They were in full bloom a couple of weeks ago, I love the rich violet color! However, they had to be transplanted to another spot in our yard since they are known to spread and take over an area and we decided we were ready to tackle a vegetable and flower garden.





My sister-in-law, Juli, so generously offered to help us 'get this garden started'. We looked at the space, talked about what kinds of veggies we wanted and she accompanied us to Lowes and Gertens, giving us the inside scoop of the gardening world. My brother, Dan, helped Paul with spreading out the top soil and cow manure and then Juli arrange everything in the garden.
Paul went to work and put our first perennial in place, a hydrangea. I love the purplish/blue color, which I learned is achieved by adding sulfur to the soil. We'll have to add that in next spring, otherwise we'll end up with pink blooms.


Maria wanted to dig the holes for the flowers so Paul gave her a shot at it.


Here's a shot of the finished product! I can't tell you how much I enjoy looking at our garden everyday. Of course, there are very few weeds at this point so we'll see how much I love it when they start popping up! But I'm excited to see things start growing and look forward to eating freshly grown veggies! Paul has since added mulch to the area and he put a soaker hose in place as well. Makes it so much easier to keep it watered!

Thanks Juli (and Dan) for all of your knowledge, time and guidance! I have no doubt we'd still be staring at a big space of dirt at this point if it wasn't for you!!!!

1 Comment:

  1. Juan Marlon Paul Ramos Baltazar said...
    Hi Paul,
    This Marlon, Your Dad and Mom told me about your garden, that's what keeping you busy this summer, anyway, I'm trying to call but It's the voice message answering me, i got a magic Jack here with me so it's free for us to call you there in the US and Canada. Regards to Tessa and the Kids

    MARLON

Post a Comment